By: Peggy Garrett – Senior Advocate
There are as many reasons as there are people in the age group that is facing this dilemma:
- Fear of Change (the unknown is frightening)
- Task of Selling a House you have lived in for 30+ years.
- What to take with you, the “S.T.U.F.F.” Superfluous Things Underfoot Forever!
- What do you do with the memories?
- What do I do with the collectibles?
- What is my legacy – “How will I be remembered”?
- Fear that every senior community is really the material of nightmares… a “Nursing Home” where they will be neglected and abused. Because movies and history of their own visits to the ancient Nursing Home are stuck in their minds.
- Promise made not to “put” a loved one in a Nursing Home
- Guilt – if you are the healthy spouse or other loved one there is guilt that you should take care of them and keep them at home.
- Money – not enough funds to cover care
- The list goes on!
Seniors who need care and their care givers who remain at home put both parties at