How to Speak to Me:
- Speak slowly and clearly to me. And, unless I have some hearing loss, you really don’t need to speak loudly.
- Please use simple and familiar words.
How to Communicate With Me:
- When you approach me, please relax and smile (I can tell if you are tense and your smile reassures me).
- Please make sure you have my attention – I communicate best face-to-face with good eye contact.
- Keep your sentences short and to the point – only one idea at a time, please.
- Give me time to process what you just said, and also, give me time to formulate a response.
- It may take some effort, but I still enjoy leading the conversation; please let me.
- Don’t interrupt.
- Ask me if I understand what you just said; it shows you care.
- Please be willing to repeat information; I may not have gotten it the first time.